Client: Holland Casino - Breda, June 2003
Assignment: Restoration and renovation of the monumental building 'Kloosterkazerne' in Breda for Holland Casino.
From nuns, soldiers and croupiers
One of the largest casinos in Europe has been located in Breda since June, where Holland Casino moved to a new home in the monumental monastery barracks. The interior of the public spaces and non-public representative spaces was designed by M+R interior architecture. M+R made a design in which respect for the monument is combined with the allure and lush atmosphere of a casino.
The building was founded around 1300 as a monastery, and was expanded several times in the following centuries. The original monastery church was replaced in 1502 by a double church. The nuns left the monastery in the 16th century and then, among other things, an illustrious school and houses were established in it. In 1814 the monastery was converted into a barracks, with floors being added to the monastery church to create sleeping quarters for the soldiers. In 1975 the army left and the building stood empty for some time.
Layers of time
M+R was selected from six agencies by client Holland Casino in consultation with architect firm Kraaijvanger Urbis; Dirk Jan Postel, who was responsible for the restoration and renovation of the monastery barracks. OMA designed the parking garage, connected via an underground corridor to the new combined entrance of the casino and the immediately adjacent Chassé theater by Herman Hertzberger (from 1995). During the restoration, Kraaijvanger Urbis kept the national monument and the new additions apart as much as possible. M+R opted for an interior concept that fits in with this and where respect for the monument is everywhere, a beautiful building, almost unassailable. ”The theme of the concept is time layers: past (the spaces in the monument), present (the central game room) and future (the play cellar for visitors up to 40 years). In addition, the contrast between monastery, barracks and casino is depicted.
The monastery barracks have a U-shape, with the open side closed off by the Chassé theater. Theater and casino now have a joint entrance.