Client: Town hall | Roosendaal, January 2005
Assignment: renovation; restoration; making the monument sustainable and redesigning
The Town Hall in Roosendaal is a National Monument dating from 1534. During a major renovation by M+R, the outside was largely left intact, apart from a carefully fitted (emergency) exit and ramp at the rear. The interior has been changed radically. The stairs were given a smoke-free 'shell' and a new lift was installed. The vaulted room has been restored and equipped with a wardrobe and large, organically shaped wall benches, behind which the modern heating is hidden. The original plaster ceilings and plaster frames were restored in the council chamber.
Two pillars from 1974 were removed to improve the view of the council meeting. The roof construction is now supported by a steel beam, carefully concealed in the wall. The removal of the pillars made a new layout of the council chamber possible, including doubling the capacity of the public gallery.